Saturday, June 6, 2009

The painting room!

Hello Friends,

Cathy and I are blessed to live in a lovely home. We live in a turn of the century rather large Victorian house with oak beams on the ceiling, lovely floors, nice woodwork, a modern kitchen, 4 bedrooms, a couple of baths, a nice large linen closet, an upstairs family room and .........the dreaded paint room.
To preface this article I must tell you that my wife is a wonderful homemaker. In spite of the fact that she works two jobs (the shop and public school) our house is almost always wonderfully clean and she is a wonderful cook as well. She works tirelessly to make sure that her family has a nice, normal home life and it is important to her that her house is tidy. Even with the 3 kids, the three dogs and me, the house manages to stay in great shape. But there is one room in the house that we have given up on.....our painting room.

Originally this room was some sort of closet or storage room...we aren't really sure. It is a very small room (8x10) and it has a bunch of stuff in it including two big tables, a big amoire for wood storage, bookcases, shelves, about 709879 surfaces, lots of paints, patterns, etc, etc. During the winter months we are in that room a lot but during the summer it is not unlikely for us to be in there for 8 - 10 hours a day. We paint all the time. It is funny that we have this huge old house but we spend most of our time in this little, tiny, over-crowded room. It also amazes me that this "black hole" is the home of so much beautiful art work. We stay in our painting room because at this point the mess is contained. We have a huge studio/store but it is away from our home and we want to be near the kids so for us... painting in a postage stamp is the best option.
I know that our painting room is a casualty of our unbelievable schedule. We have to prioritize and, quite frankly, a room that no one else ever sees and that would take us forever to clean, we let go. I know that if Cathy weren't juggling all of the things that we do our painting room would be spotless like the rest of our house. But for now it will have to do.
As we have reported before Cathy and I do a lot of shows in order to recruit new students. We have done well at these shows but one of the excuses we hear from people is that they do not have room to paint. Poppycock!!! If you have a kitchen table or a card table you can paint. We painted at our kitchen table for a long time before we started using our painting room. Currently we process about 300 paintings a year through our painting room. The point is this...it doesn't have to pretty, it doesn't have to be particularly organized or clean, it doesn't have to be permanent but, if you want to create beauty you can find the space. So for now we will continue to paint in our little tiny, messy, cramped room and love every minute of it.
I don't want you to think I am exaggerating so I have included a few pictures of our "lovely" space. When you are looking at the pictures please keep in mind that we spend many, many lovely hours in this room together! Thank God we like each other.


Have a great day,
Paul

4 comments:

  1. I quite agree with you Paul - paint wherever you can. I remember painting on the kitchen table, dining room table, spare bedroom etc and loved every minute of it.

    Make the most of what you have and enjoy!

    Hazel

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am lucky and have a 10'x10' bedroom for my studio. But I should take pictures of it before Tuesday night class and then after class as all the piles of "in process" works get moved to my bed for a few hours and then moved back so I can go to bed.

    Was happy to see that there are other people who can be creative amidst chaos like me. As long as I have a foot or so in front of me clear, I can always paint.

    Bobbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great room!!! At least yours is contained...I am working on that. You are fortunate to be married to superwoman. I haven't run the vaccum more then two feet inside the doorway and the "path" to my chair for more than a month. And to think at one time I thought this 12x12 and double closet would be enough!! (LOL to the fourth power!!) I just look a it, sigh, and then get sidetracked to my current projects.
    And who cares...Tomorrow is another day, Scarlett!

    Linda

    ReplyDelete