Saturday, May 16, 2009

Just say 'abstinence'

Hello Everyone,

It's been a while since I posted as I've been leaving the bulk of it up to Paul, but I just recently experienced something that I thought I would share with you. Recently, my two daughters attended their high school prom with the two wonderful young men they've been dating. Paul and I love these two boys as if they were our own. They are quality people and we are thrilled to entrust the safekeeping of our daughters to them.

As I'm sure many of you are aware, the prom is a huge deal in the life of a teen girl. Preparation begins weeks in advance, picking the perfect dress, shoes, jewelry, tanning, manicures, up-dos and so on. The list is endless and as a parent, it is very expensive. But when the big day finally comes, the couples are so gorgeous, you know all the expense and work was worth it. To see what I mean, I've posted their pictures below.

This is of course the couples together and below are pictures of each couple.

















My favorite picture, however, has to do with the title of my blog. If you are a parent, you know how easy it is to mortify your child. Sometimes the very act of breathing is enough to earn their derision. During picture-taking time prior to the couples leaving for the prom, I committed the greatest parent-child faux pas. When the couples were standing for yet another photo, I went for big smiles from them but instead of saying the obligatory 'say cheese', I said 'say abstinence'. While the other parents found this quite funny, my daughters were not so amused. One of the parents got their reaction in the photo below:


My oldest daughter (the one in pink) was particularly irritated, while my younger daughter laughed initially and then gave me the look of death, which was not caught on film. Their dates were unruffled by the whole thing as you can see. Oh well, being a parent isn't always easy but I wouldn't trade it for anything. Even when looks from your children make you want to shrivel up and blow away, it's still the best job in the world.
Until next time - take care,
Cathy

4 comments:

  1. woo! big blooper, Cathy!
    Glad the girls had a great time at their prom.
    You don't know me (yet), but I was yet another Canadjan in the Santa Seminar.
    I asked Paul to ask you for the gob cake icing recipe! Can you help me out? (He seems to have forgotten! :-)
    /Abi B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cathy!

    Oh too funny! I love the comment...I'll save it for Rach and Hale when the time comes! LOL

    The girls are beautiful! I hope they had a great time.

    Georgia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cathy,

    The girls are beautiful. Trust me when they are almost 20 they find these kind of things much more amusing. Jenn, my daughter, is finally regaining her sense of humor as she has, for the most part, climbed out of that dark crevice called teenagerhood.

    I laughed hysterically and read it to my husband. He got a chuckle. Will read it to Jenn when she gets home from work so we can have a mother/daughter bonding moment.

    Bobbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cathy,
    I think you handled it well. The one word comment got your message out loud and clear and the little speech reserved for the girls that you probably would have given didn't need to be said....but most importantly, it went into the other ears that needed to hear it too...instead of Paul having to stare at those boys like Dr. Death!!
    Your girls will thank you in years to come and you will all have a good laugh!!

    I hope they had a good time.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete