Sunday, April 26, 2009

Shopping for a bed to make into a bench...huh?

Hello Friends,

I have known my wife Cathy since we were 6 years old. In fact, we were in kindergarten class together. She chased me in middle school, I chased her back and we finally caught each other late in our high school years. The point is that our lives have been intertwined forever. I have known that she is extremely creative for years. She decorates our house with the eye of an interior decorator and does beautiful things with color and texture. She gets it. Part of the challenge of living with one that is so creative is that we often get involved in things that others think are a little weird. She orders curtains that were from a movie theater from someone on ebay...They are gorgeous but that isn't normal. She uses a victorian dresser scarf around our fireplace mantel...gorgeous but perhaps a bit unusual.

Our many past experinces have prepared me for the most recent announcement. Enter Cathy..."Paul, I would like to get an antique headboard and make a bench out of it for the front porch" I looked confused and said, huh? What are you talking about?

Over the next few days Cathy showed me pictures and sketches to clue me in so I saw where we were going. Our first job was that we needed to find an old headboard. Cathy showed me some pictures of possibilities on the Internet. In addition we went "antiquing" in Adamstown, Pa. We didn't find anything that would do the job. Cathy was ready to order a headboard on line but the shipping was an issue.

Today I suggested that we take a road trip to a nearby small city, called Altoona to see if we could find something that would work. We walked through aisles and aisles of antiques and we didn't see anything that we could afford. Of course we saw a few beds but they were over $800. That is a little too expensive for our front porch. Then I saw it! A perfect headboard to be made into a very dramatic bench. I was afraid of the price but the look was incredible. When I looked at the price I almost fell over....$45. I couldn't believe it. The wood isn't in great shape but who cares....it is as solid as a rock and we are going to paint it anyway.

So we have our headboard and we are going to create a few blogs so that you can see our $45 dollar trash turn into a treasure. You are also going to see the creative wonder that is my wife. Below is our special find. Ignore the boots under the bed...they belong to Gabe. If someone leaves their shoes by the front door Cathy puts them on the porch or in the yard (mine have even ended up there a few times). See if you can visualize what this will become. It took me a little while but it will be a cool process. More later!



Sincerely,

Paul

2 comments:

  1. That is one gorgeous headboard, what a find!! Can't wait to see the porch "bench"... I'm guessing the family will find their shoes in there from time to time, haha. Frieda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Frieda,
    Cathy even threw my shoes out there once! She is a tyrant! (LOL) Cathy is so creative, and I can't wait to see what she comes up with! It's got to be better than Paul's tee da ta. You must ask him to tell you that story!

    Tom Nagy

    ReplyDelete