Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Time at the Jansens

Hello All,

I am addicted to learning. I'm not quite sure why but I do know that from an early age learning, particularly in the arts, has been my passion. I tend to bounce back and forth between a couple of artistic expressions ...stained glass ....antique restoration .... music ....visual arts .... but in my mind this is all the same thing. I am learning and growing in the arts.

On Sunday I had an opportunity to learn some more. Martha invited me to the Jansen Art Studio to help test some of the new paint. There were various artists in and out of the studio all day. It was quite busy but we were all there for the same purpose, to make sure that the paint would have the high level of performance that you have come to expect. Dave had lots of computer work to do so as he finished his computer work, Donna Rose, Jessica and myself busied ourselves with the new paints.

What an amazing process! We were examining the new paint to see how it performed in many categories. Very interesting and a test of my accumulated color knowledge. I was pleased at my ability to contribute to the conversation. It is so good to have an understanding of color. But, like all lifetime learners, I feel like I am just beginning to scratch the surface. Of course we were testing to see how the paint performed on various surfaces. Here is a picture of Jessica testing the paint on shiny porceline. As you can see, a gift for mom was the result.

I love the expression on Dave's face in the background. "What the heck are you doing". Very funny. Anyhow, Jessica is a great person. We spend lots of time in laughter and fun. But she is also very smart and talented.

Donna Rose Prestridge also came to help with the testing. Like the rest of us, Donna Rose had fun playing in the paint. Of course her eye for color is excellent and she did a fabulous job.

For those of you that know Donna Rose you can attest to the fact that she is truly a wonderful artist and a lady. My time spent with Donna is always rewarding and fun.

The day spent at the Jansen home was typical of my time with them in that we shared so much laughing. David and Martha, along with the rest of the family and extended family, thrive in the company of others. Our mutual friendship means so much to Cathy and I and our shared experiences enrich our lives beyond explanation.

One of the magic qualities of this industry is that it can produce friendships that are deep and resonant. The arts can bind us together in a way that nothing else can. I would guess that the shared journey bonds us together. I just know that my lives have been enriched by all the wonderful people that I have met in my time in decorative painting. God has blessed us.

The bad part of the day was that I have been fighting sickness. I didn't share this with the Jansens as I was long past the contagious stage and I don't like people to fuss over me. But, I was feeling pretty listless. I found out that I have Pneumonia. This is the third time I have had it. But, I am on the mend. By Easter I will be as strong as can be.

I thought I would leave you with one parting photo. The Jansen Art Studio is a hopping place filled with creativity and passion about the arts. David is a whirlwind of productivity and he doesn't spend his days talking about painting, he spends his days with a paint brush in his hands. Well, from time to time the studio begins to show the effects of his whirlwind life. He is like me in that he will allow stuff to accumulate and then he has to attend to it. This is the before picture of his studio. It is the kind of creative "jungle" that you would assume that a great artist is working in. But, I guarantee that by the time all of you see it, the place will be shining.

Anyhow, it is time to head to school. Thankfully today is a fairly light day. God Bless.

Paul

1 comment:

  1. Paul, I'm so glad you had this wonderful opportunity and know you wouldn't have missed it for anything in the world, but please, "take care of yourself"! I was in a similar situation last July when I flew to Fl. to see a friend and also attend a painting conference. I came down with a "severe case of bronchitis" and although it didn't turn into pneumonia, I am still (almost 9 months later) feeling the effects. The Dr. seems to think the virus, or whatever I had affected my heart and I've been trying to recover ever since. I have always felt "invincible" but I have to admit, this knocked me on my butt!! So, just a friendly word of caution from someone who seemingly acts the same way you do when it comes to our passions of the arts. Godspeed to a fast, complete recovery.
    Marsha McDowell, TA & TT
    Mesa, AZ

    ReplyDelete