Saturday, April 25, 2009

Teaching a different class

Hello All,

We have so much to catch up on. The last two weeks have been filled with music, art, teaching, family and travel. We plan to make a separate post about some of the musical experiences that we have had during the last couple of weeks. Awesome! But, in the meantime I would like to tell you about an experience that I am having in our studio.

Cathy has been teaching a group of artists for the last couple of years. When they came to her I don't think any of them had any experience so Cathy has guided them and nurtured their abilities to the point that they are at now. I am so pleased to say that this particular class is filled with great painters. They are avid learners, paint on their own, and have developed quite rapidly. Cathy is a splendid teacher and these students are naturals.

A few weeks ago Cathy informed me that she needed to take an online class and had to be available on Thursday evenings so, could I teach her class for a couple of weeks? Sure...Why not... Piece of cake. Haha. There were a few details that I didn't count on. First of all, this class is fiercely committed to Cathy so when I walked in they were in the, "what the heck" mode. Second, this group has a language that is all their own. They are great friends, they like to do a little friendly "men bashing" and I happened to be the man in the room. Third, I learned very quickly that when a group of women "men bash" it isn't a good idea to return the gesture with "women bashing". OOPS. Bad call.

Anyhow, the truth is that I had a wonderful time. The ladies did have some fun with me but the teaching and the learning was absolutely great. I am proud of Cathy and the wonderful rapport that she has with her students and am grateful that they are loyal. In truth they were very kind. One of the things that you miss in an online class is the kind of intense bonding that goes on in a weekly class. It is one of the backbones of our industry.

The ladies in Cathy's Thursday night class have been through a lot together. They have cried, laughed, hugged and bonded in ways that are unique to this group of people. I love the fact that our little studio in the mountains is a safe place for all of our students. They know that the time that they spend in our studio will be rewarding and fun. It is one of the things that makes this job truly rewarding.

If any of the Thursday nighter's are reading this please remember....go easy on me. I am enjoying getting to know you and look forward to our time together.

Till next time,

Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment